Hidden away in a corner of North Georgia, Turner’s Corner Cafe is sought out by people from as far away as Atlanta, about 80 miles to the south, but it easy to miss. The cafe is located in a former gas station at a small crossroads where highways 19 and 129 meet and where 19 crosses the Chestatee River. Although its mailing address is Cleveland, Georgia, which is a town in White County, the cafe actually is located in Lumpkin County, and most people think the address is Dahlonega, Georgia. It’s no wonder people often have a hard time finding it. But its reputation is outstanding and is largely spread by word of mouth.
Except for the fact that the old gasoline pumps have been removed, the building looks much the same from the outside as it must have in 1928.
Although the cafe offers a full menu, daily specials are announced on the chalkboard outside. The day we ate there, fried green tomatoes had returned to the menu. Yum!
The main dining room features a sign in leaded glass…
… while the outside deck sports a more rustic sign.
Diners on the deck sit directly above the Chestatee River as it flows beneath the highway bridge on its way to Lake Lanier to the south.
In recent years the cafe has been through a succession of owners, and the new owners have added a lovely outdoor seating area by the river. The sun was so bright the day we were there that the roses glowed a brilliant hot pink.
For more hidden surprises, see http://wheresmybackpack.com/2013/09/06/travel-theme-hidden/