Many thanks to WoollyMuses for honoring me with the Most Influential Blogger Award. It’s nice to know that my posts have been influential in some small way. Please check out WoollyMuses who lives in and blogs from my favourite country in the world, Australia.
As a condition of accepting the award, I must answer some questions:
1. What makes you happiest? Being with my family.
2. Do you love the oceans or mountains more? I love the ocean, but I always come home to the mountains. It would be nice to be able to live in the mountains close to the seashore.
3. What has been a special moment in 2013? When our daughter and her husband surprised us with the gift of a family trip back to South Bend, Indiana where both my husband and daughter were born.
4. What’s your favourite quote? The Henry David Thoreau quote for which I named my blog: “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
5. Do you like yourself? Most of the time. Much more than I did at a younger age.
6. Do you stay up till midnight on New Year? I do stay up, but that doesn’t mean I stay awake. lol
7. Something you wish could be done ASAP? I wish all the rancor and division and bitterness in the government of my country (the U.S.) would magically disappear.
8. What was your favourite class when still at school? History. In fact, I liked it so much that I obtained an advanced degree in History and have taught for many years on both the high school and the university level.
9. What musical instrument have you tried to play? I have an Appalachian dulcimer, a hammered dulcimer, and a bowed psaltery, all of which I have tried to play with varying degrees of success. I do play Native American flute fairly well.
10. Anything you had wished to have learned earlier? I wish I had learned to trust my own instincts and to approach life with less fear.
11. Do you like to do crafts, drawing or painting? My daughter is the craftsperson in the family and does amazing work. My husband is a watercolor artist and paints beautiful landscapes. I can sew, but that’s about it.
Another condition of accepting this award is that I nominate other bloggers, which presents me with a dilemma. Of all the blogs I follow, almost all either have already received the award, been nominated by me for other awards, or are award-free. I have been and continue to be influenced by so many bloggers, and for that I am truly grateful.